Music lover? Building your collection? Useful tips and helpful info for vinyl, CD and more.
Is music the permanent soundtrack to your life?
Can you imagine getting to the point where you have to sleep standing up, because your home is so full of records?
Although this website isn’t about music as such (there are plenty of places where you can read about that), on musicstuff.info you’ll find articles containing helpful info, tips and trivia relating to records, CDs, music cassettes and music collections in general.
Although in ‘real life’ I’m really opinionated about music, I’ve deliberately kept this website genre- and format-agnostic.
So whether you listen to Vivaldi on vinyl, Céline Dion on CD or Tony Cassidy on cassette, you should still hopefully be able to find something of interest.
The same applies if you crave the crackle of vinyl, treasure cassette tape background hiss, love the pristine sound of CD or can’t contemplate anything but the brick wall limiters used on your digital music.
New articles appear semi-regularly. If you enjoyed something you read here, or found it useful, you’re welcome to share it on social media or link to it from your own website or blog. Thanks a lot.
Vinyl, CD or cassette?
The articles are sorted into categories – vinyl, CD and cassette. Use the links below or the navigation menu at the top to explore.
Who am I?
- A middle-aged bloke (inevitable, really)
- British, but lives elsewhere in Europe
- If I’m awake, there’s a good chance I’ll be listening to music
- Big music collection, amassed since the 1980s
- Produces music (well-kept secret, as most of the world has not yet caught on to this fact)
- ‘Bedroom’ DJ (ditto)
- Works in the industry (small, insignificant cog, without decision-making function)
- And as I also love writing and creating websites, I thought I’d create a website where I could write about music.
- Different mixes of tracks on singles – 18 mix types explainedWhat are all those different mixes of tracks on singles? 18 common mix types explained, so you know what to expect from your new purchases!
- Flexidiscs – what are they, and just how bad do they sound?Flexidiscs? What are they? How do you play them? And what do they sound like? Read on to learn about this economical, lo-fi alternative to vinyl.
- AAD? ADD? DDD? What are SPARS codes?AAD? ADD? DDD? What are these weird codes on my CDs? Learn what SPARS codes are, and if your CDs are purely digital creations – or not!
- Picture discs – how they’re made, and do they really sound terrible?Picture discs: How are they made? Are they purely for looking at, or can you actually play them? And what do they sound like? OK, poor or terrible?
- Coloured vinyl records – how they’re made, sound quality and valueHow are coloured vinyl records made? What’s their sound quality like compared to black vinyl? And are they collectable, and therefore valuable?
- How much are vinyl records worth? – Are you sitting on a goldmine?How much are vinyl records worth? Are you sitting on a goldmine, or a pile of junk? When you’ve read this article, you’ll know how to find out!